Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Visit to the Royal Flora Gardens 12-10-08

On a particularly beautiful day I was taken to the Royal Flora Gardens with my Thai family. We all had the day off from school for a special government Holiday. I believe it was the day Parliment was established as a governing institution in Thailand. There was no admissions fee at the Gardens so we took advantage of the opportunity.

If I was to give a brief description of Thai art at this particular display I'd label it as a combination of modern and abstract. However, in some strange way it all seemed rather Thai, but remove it from Thailand and I'd say it'd all fit rather well in that park running North along McCormick Street to Evenston.

All of the colors and intensity of the artistry were overwhelming. Here are some of the pictures that I think you'll find interesting. Also imagine that this is supposed to be something like an amusement park for Thai people. At least this was my impression, but flowers and gardens are not on everyone's list of fun things to see and Thai people are no different on this matter.

I must mention however, that the colors and flowers in this part of the world I extrodinary and worth seeing. The varieties of orchids (that are so uncommon in the Midwest) are overwhelming. I botonist would have a blast studing the work being done at Maejo University, not far from my home. To the foreign eye, I believe that you really could think you're in a different world.

No comments: