Friday, November 7, 2008

Motorbike & Thai Language School 11-7-08

For the past 2.5 weeks I’ve been surviving the twists, turns, and various obstacles on my motorbike from Ampur Son Sai (my home district) to Payap University in Ampur Chiang Mai. These trips began with much trepidation, but I have grown to enjoy them immensely. Here’s a picture of me pretending to be riding my motorbike. It’s a Honda Click automatic and I’ve been told by my Thai brothers that this bike is Suay Mahk Mahk (very beautiful). It’s a popular bike to have and I will be happy to be donating it to the Thai Covenant Church upon my departure. For the time being I’m just grateful to have some “wheels” to get to Payap and the market. It takes about 25 minutes to get to school and I probably average about 35 kilos an hour and no more than 65 on the Super Highway, which is quite fast enough for me. Class is from 9am-12pm with a nice break in the middle and I am so thankful to be studying Thai right now. I’m slowly but surely increasing my vocabulary (remembering tones) and putting adjectives after their objects (like in Spanish). Much credit goes to my Thai family, who are very patient with me, learning and saying the words I understand, and repeating themselves often and more slowly! It’s challenging for all of us, no doubt, but it’s always exciting when our messages get through the void. Here’s an ok picture of the sign outside of Payap and the place (below) where I like to stop and buy roasted buns that come with an amazing honey-butter tasting spread. I'm not sure yet what they're called in Thai, but they're definately a tasty treat.

2 comments:

Cassie said...

I know, that everyone has been experiencing ups and downs in their lives - and you are one of those strong people that has experienced this and was able to surpass it with flying colors..

Thai Language School

Thai Language School said...

That is indeed a lovely motorbike. I am glad you are enjoying your life with your motorbike as well as Thailand and your Thai school.