Monday, November 17, 2008

The Loy Krathong Festival 11-12-08

Last week I had the pleasure of experiencing The Loy Krathong Festival, an annual favorite among Thai people by both Christians and Non-Christians alike. There are a variety views as to how or if Christians should participate in it and much prayer and discussion is held over the issue. As an outsider looking in, the ceremony was beautiful, exciting, and just plain fun.

My Thai family, however, (who are convicted Christians) did not attend the festival, but allowed me to experience it without much apprehension concerning my religious convictions.

They were more concerned about my safety in regards to all of the random fireworks which you can get a taste of in the video clip below. You'll also hear some great music by the live band that was playing in the background.

A few days before the actual Krathong Ceremony is The Sansai Festival which involves the simultaneous launch of 1,000-10,000 hot air balloons. These aren't the kind of hot air balloons we see in the states, but look like the picture to the picture above. Ot brought one home, as seen above, so that I could experience it up close and personal as I was not allowed to attend the simultaneous launch. In spite of the historical cultural bondage represented, I believe that those who've been raised in Christian homes perhaps associate themselves with these ceremonies in the same way as many Christians do in the states in regards to celebrating Halloween or decorating our churches with Christmas Trees.
The balloon launch is then followed by the Floating lantern ceremony, which takes place later in the week, and involves the reverent floating of thousands of beautifully hand-crafted lotus shaped vessel made of flowers and banana tree leaves (Krathong) into ponds, canals and rivers. Here's the lotus to the left that Ying made for me to send down the river. I do not believe, however, that she or any other members of my Thai family made their own for sending, but were happy to introduce me to the annual tradition because of my inexperience.

2 comments:

Olive Kaiser said...

Hi Kara,

What a nice blog! I'm behind on computer and need to go back and read them all but I will. I enjoyed your latest comments and the pics today.

We have been busy with a remodel of 2 bathrooms, and company as my sister and husband and a friend were here to do them. Plus 6 out of town funerals in 11 weeks. But it has been good.

Miss you. It sounds like you are getting a LOT of great experiences.

Love,
Olive

Ecuabax said...

Thanks for the updates!!! Looks and sounds like you are enjoying your time there!!! In Medellin Colombia during advent the people send thousands of "globos" (tissue paper baloons with a torch inside") up into the air. Pretty crazy!!!

Blessings,

bax