Sunday, October 19, 2008

Chicago Farewell Party 10-4-08

On October 4th, 2008 I said goodbye to many of my friends at Paul & Gretchen DeNeui’s house. Paul is standing in the picture to the right explaining the meaning of the string- tying ceremony; a tradition common in Northern Thailand performed at significant junctures in a person’s life. Two of my friends, Christy Sherman and Jenny Win, are listening intently as Paul explains how the Thai strings are used as a tool for blessing in the name Christ. They are not significant in themselves, but symbolize a blessing spoken, by an individual or family, over another’s life. My friends took turns saying a blessing or prayer for me as they tied one of these strings to my wrist. My Mom, who is sitting next to me in the picture below was also tied in this ceremony. It was a blessing to be blessed!! I have participated in three string tying ceremonies and they have all brought me to tears. I believe that God is able to work powerfully when we bless each other in the name of Jesus through the use of this redeemed Buddhist ceremony, commonly practiced in Northern Thailand. It was an overwhelming experience to be tied by new friends from Thailand, old friends from South Korea and Burma, and old & new friends from the United States. I will never forget the love and support I felt and do feel from all the people who have helped me immensely as I follow what God has for me in Thailand.

No comments: