Monday, September 8, 2008

Fundraising Update: 9-8-08

Yeah for Fundraising! I am currently at 65% of my total fundraising needs. Thank you and praise God for all of you who have helped me get to this point! I am truly blessed and growing more and more excited that I will be in Thailand soon.

I still need 35% or $15,000, but I am hoping and praying that God would lay it on people's hearts to support me as I seek to follow God's leading to serve in Thailand. I hope to leave within the next 2 1/2 to 3 weeks if I reach 80% and will continue fundraising efforts while I begin a new season of life with the Thai Covenant Church.

  • Please pray that God would give me energy, patience, and faith that everything will come together as soon as God would have me leave.
  • Pray for the churches & individuals who I have asked for help, that God would give them generous hearts and that they would be blessed in return.
  • Pray for the Thailand Covenant Church as they prepare to receive me and train me so that I will be able to serve them well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why is it so expensive for you to serve in Thailand? Are you building the school that you will be teaching at?

If not, you can just find a job and then go. I can find you a job that pays you a decent Thai salary. These jobs often also pay the plane ticket costs, and provide housing, and it is easy for a native English speaker to get hired.

check out davesESLcafe.org

Kara Jo Maus said...

Thanks for your question anonymous...my annual budget includes living expensives, a salary, insurrance, US state tax, annual conferences, and unexpected costs. I'll be serving a marginalized church of about 20 memembers as a volunteer ESL teacher and minister. In exchange I'll be learning Thai, traditional music, and how to minister to the needs of Thai people for almost next to nothing by US standards.

I'm motivated by the need in Thailand for people to know of God's love and to learn about the current issues in the church so that I can be a bridge between denominations that currently exist. With only .5% of the population professing to have a relationship with Christ and with the sex industry, poverty levels, and poor literacy rates in crisis the last thing I want is to be a financial burdern on the church. It also gives me an opportunity to share my passion with Americans, give them a chance to see what God is doing around the world, and an opportunity to be blessed through their giving.

If you want to learn more please check out Covenant World Mission www.covchurch.org/mission and then click on Thailand.